Meeting with the EC representatives on WEEE issues
On July 13, a seminar on WEEE management took place at the Ministry of Environment. This event took place at the initiative of the European Commission as part of an European monitoring program for the enforcement of EU legislation.
Besides the above-mentioned aspect, the purpose of the program is also to formulate recommendations on best practices that deserve replication. The event was attended by European Commission representatives, Bettina Lorz and Maria Banti from DG Environment; there were present also representatives from the Ministry of Environment, the National Environmental Guard, the Environmental Fund Agency and the Ministry of Economy, as well as the responsibility transfer organizations and other representatives of the recycling industry, APDETIC and CECED.
ECOTIC delivered a presentation on the challenges of WEEE management and related solutions. The recommendations presented were also found in other guest presentations, a sign that the issues are common to all the players on the market:
- Implementation of the “All Actors” system with reference to the achievement of national collection targets
- Empowering all actors involved in the WEEE stream
- Tightening up legislation and control to combat illegal collection and dismantling
- Modification of authorization system for WEEE treatment activities and mandatory introduction of WEEELABEX certification (Cenelec EN50625)
- Changing the reporting system to ensure simplicity and traceability
- Penalties for collective schemes to be related to their performance